Are you a fan of anime?
Do you like to collect figures of your favorite characters?
If so, you may be wondering how to make anime figures with polymer clay. It’s actually a lot simpler than you might think.
In This Tutorial – We will show you how to create a figure of your favorite character using polymer clay. Let’s get started.
Table of Contents
How to Make Anime Figures with Polymer Clay?
Making anime figures with polymer clay is a fun and creative way to show your love for your favorite characters.
In this tutorial, we will show you how to make simple but accurate figures using polymer clay.
To get started, you’ll need some basic supplies:
- First, you’ll need oven-bake polymer clay in the colors of your choice. You can find this at most craft stores, or online.
- You’ll also need a sharp knife, a rolling pin, and some sort of surface to work on (I like to use a sheet of wax paper).
Tools you will need:
- Polymer Clay
- Rolling Pin
- Wax Papper
- Acrylic Paint
- Small Paint Brush
Sculpting Your Figure
Once you have your supplies gathered, it’s time to start creating!
Follow the process:
- Start by taking a small piece of clay and rolling it into a ball. This will be the head of your figure.
- Next, take two slightly larger balls of clay and flatten them into discs. These will be the ears. Attach the ears to the head with a bit of water or clay glue, then use your knife to sculpt them into the shape you desire.
- Now it’s time to add some features to your head. Use your knife to sculpt eyes, a nose, and a mouth. You can also add hair by rolling thin snakes of clay and attaching them to the head. Be creative and have fun with it!
- Once you’re happy with the way your head looks, it’s time to attach it to the body. Start by taking a larger ball of clay and flattening it into a disc. This will be the chest. Position the head on the disc, then use your fingers to blend the two pieces together.
- Next, take two smaller balls of clay and flatten them into discs. These will be the arms. Attach them to the sides of the chest, then use your knife to sculpt them into the desired shape.
- Finally, take two slightly larger balls of clay and flatten them into discs. These will be the legs. Attach them to the bottom of the chest, then use your knife to sculpt them into the desired shape.
- Now that the basic body shape is complete, it’s time to add some final details. Use your knife to sculpt clothing, accessories, and any other features you want your figure to have. You can also use paint or markers to add color and detail to your figure.
- Once you’re happy with the way your figure looks, it’s time to bake it! Preheat your oven to 275 degrees Fahrenheit, then place your figure on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 15 minutes, then remove from the oven and let cool.
- Your anime figure is now complete!
Now that you have your figure all sculpted out, it’s time to start painting!
This is where you can really bring your figure to life and make it your own.
- You will want to prime your figure. This helps the paint adhere to the clay and also gives you a nice blank canvas to work with. You can use any kind of primer that you like, but I find that gesso works best.
- Once your figure is primed, you can start painting. I like to use acrylic paints for my figures, but you can really use any kind of paint that you like. Just make sure that you seal the paint when you’re finished so that it doesn’t rub off.
And that’s it!
Now you have a beautiful homemade anime figure that is completely unique and personal to you.
Building A Stand
There are a few different ways that you can go about building a stand for your anime figure.
You can purchase a pre-made display stand, or you can make your own.
If you decide to make your own stand, there are a few things that you will need to take into consideration.
The first thing that you need to do is decide what material you want to use.
The most common materials used for display stands are wood, metal, or plastic.
You will also need to decide what size and shape you want your stand to be.
Once you have decided on the material and the size of the stand, you will need to gather your supplies.
For this project you will need:
- A piece of wood, metal, or plastic that is the same size and shape as the stand that you want to make
- A drill
- A saw
- Paint or a marker (optional)
- Glue (optional)
Now that you have gathered all of your supplies, you are ready to start building your stand:
- If you are using wood, the first thing that you will need to do is cut the piece of wood into the shape that you want. You can use a saw, or you can use a drill with a bit that is the same size as the stand that you want to make.
- Once you have cut the wood into the correct shape, you will need to drill a hole in the center of the stand. This hole is where the pole that will hold up your figure will go.
- Once you have drilled the hole in the center of the stand, you are now ready to paint or decorate it however you like. You can also glue something to the top of the stand, such as a piece of paper or fabric. This is completely optional and is only meant to personalize the stand.
- Now that you have finished building your stand, you can now insert the pole into the hole that you drilled. Make sure that the pole is secure before putting your figure on top of it.
Polymer Clay is a type of modeling material made from an acrylic-based liquid and powdered pigment that dries into flexible solid plastic over time.
For those just getting started or looking for some inspiration, we’ve included a few tips on what types of materials work best, as well as some basic techniques.